Historic mobile banking terms
Historic mobile banking terms effective from 16 June 2015 to 18 April 2016
Changes to mobile banking terms
We're making some changes to Pay Your Contacts
As a reminder, Pay Your Contacts allows you to send payments using the payee's mobile phone number instead of their account details.
On 19 April 2016, we'll be removing the part of the service that allows you to send this type of payment to someone based on them having a Visa debit, credit or prepaid card. You'll still be able to send a Pay Your Contacts payment to someone who is registered for the NatWest, RBS, Ulster Bank Northern Ireland, NatWest Offshore or Isle of Man Bank App or for the industry wide Paym service and you can still send other payments from the App to anyone you've already set up as a payee on online banking.
We're updating our Mobile Banking Terms to
- reflect the changes we're making to Pay Your Contacts;
- explain the different ways that we can tell you about changes to the Mobile Banking Terms; and
- make them clearer to you.
Please read the updated Mobile Banking Terms carefully. They'll take effect on 19 April 2016 and can be found in the 'Help & Support' or the 'More' section of the App for future reference.
Need more help?
If you have any queries, please contact us on 0345 366 7004 or +44 2381 244182 from outside the UK or visit natwestinternational.com.
If you no longer wish to use Mobile Banking, you can cancel this service by calling us on 0345 366 7004 or +44 2381 244182 from outside the UK and deleting the App from your mobile device(s).
Mobile banking terms
Historic mobile banking terms effective from 16 June 2015 to 18 April 2016
For all the information about our mobile banking terms please read below.
1.1 These Terms apply to the Mobile Banking service (Mobile Banking) and form part of the agreement between you and us, The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited trading as NatWest (NatWest). Your Core Terms (which set out general terms for using your account and include details of how we use your information) also form part of the agreement along with any document identified within those Core Terms as being included in that agreement. It's important that you read these Terms carefully together with the Core Terms.
If you ever need up-to-date copies of these Terms, please ask us and we'll give you a copy. You can also find them at natwestinternational.com.
1.2 If you have any questions about these Terms, please contact us on 0345 366 7004 or +44 2381 244182 from outside the UK. If there is any inconsistency between these Terms and your Core Terms, these Terms will apply.
1.3 Our relations with you and these Terms will be governed by the laws of the jurisdiction in which the branch where your account(s) is located. The courts there will have non-exclusive jurisdiction in any disputes between us.
2.1 The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited trading as NatWest (NatWest). Registered Office: P.O. Box 64, Royal Bank House, 71 Bath Street, St. Helier, Jersey JE4 8PJ. Regulated by the Jersey Financial Services Commission.
2.2 Guernsey business address: PO Box 62, Royal Bank Place, 1 Glategny Esplanade, St. Peter Port, Guernsey, GY1 4BQ. Regulated by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission and licensed under the Banking Supervision (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law, 1994, as amended, the Insurance Managers and Insurance Intermediaries (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law, 2002, and the Protection of Investors (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law, 1987, as amended.
2.3 Isle of Man business address: 2 Victoria Street, Douglas, Isle of Man, IM99 1AQ. Licensed by the Financial Supervision Commission of the Isle of Man and registered with the Insurance and Pensions Authority in respect of general business.
2.4 NatWest is the registered business name of The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited under the Business Names Registration Act. Gibraltar business address: National Westminster House, PO Box 707, 57 Line Wall Road, Gibraltar. Regulated and authorised by the Financial Services Commission, Gibraltar to undertake Banking and Investment Business from 55 and 57 Line Wall Road and 1 Corral Road, Gibraltar.
2.5 NatWest is a member of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc - Registered in Scotland No 90312. Registered office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. The latest report and accounts are available at www.investors.rbs.com.
3.1 You can only use Mobile Banking if:
- You’re aged 11 or over
- You’re registered for Online Banking
- You have a valid mobile phone number which starts 07
3.2 To use Mobile Banking you'll need to download the NatWest Mobile Banking application (the App). You can find further details on how to register and full details of the range of services available to you at natwestinternational.com/mobile. The services that are available to you may vary depending on the type of device you're using.
3.3 You're responsible for ensuring that your device is capable of operating the App (which we'll update from time to time). We can't guarantee that we'll continue to support the operating system used by your device.
3.4 There may be times when the App is unavailable for you to use due to maintenance, repairs or upgrades to our systems or the systems of any party used to provide Mobile Banking. We'll aim to notify you in advance of any maintenance work but may not always be able to do so. Please contact us if you're unable to use the App and we'll do our best to help.
4.1 Your security details
4.1.1 You must keep your security details secret (including any passwords or log-in details). This means that you mustn't give these details to any other person or record them in any way that could allow another person to access them.
4.1.2 You must tell us immediately if you think someone else might know your security details by calling 0345 366 7004 or +44 2381 244182 from outside the UK or by contacting your branch.
4.1.3 We'll never ask you to disclose your full security details to us or to any other person or organisation. Even if the person requesting your details is using our name and logo and appears to be genuine, you must not share your details with them. You should report any such requests to us immediately by calling 0345 366 7004 or +44 2381 244182 from outside the UK or by contacting your branch.
4.2 Your device
4.2.1 You must not leave the device you're using unattended while you're logged on to Mobile Banking and you must make sure that any information stored or displayed on your device is kept secure.
4.2.2 If your device is lost or stolen you must contact us immediately by calling 0345 366 7004 or +44 2381 244182 from outside the UK or by contacting your branch.
4.2.3 You must delete the App from your device if you change your device or dispose of it.
4.3 Incorrect or unauthorised payments
If you suspect that an incorrect or unauthorised payment has been made from your account, please contact us immediately by calling 0345 366 7003 or +44 2381 244181 from outside the UK or contacting your branch. Please read your Core Terms for further information on incorrect and unauthorised payments.
4.4 Your contact details
You should tell us promptly if your contact details (including your mobile phone number or email address) change.
You're responsible for all instructions given through Mobile Banking, by you or anyone acting with your authority.
6.1.1 Your Core Terms explain the different ways you can pay money into your account or take money out of your account.
6.1.2 Terms 6.2 to 6.4 below set out a payment service that is specific to Mobile Banking and is therefore not included in your Core Terms.
6.1.3 Unless Term 6.4 applies, when you make a payment through Mobile Banking we’ll make the payment using the Faster Payments Service if possible. If we can’t use the Faster Payments Service we’ll advise you of alternative ways to make the payment.
6.2 Pay Your Contacts (General)
6.2.1 Pay Your Contacts is a service within the App, which allows you to send money to a third party by using the payee's mobile phone number rather than their account number and sort code.
6.2.2 You can use this service to make payments to:
- anyone who has registered to use a NatWest, RBS, Ulster Bank Northern Ireland or Isle of Man Bank Mobile Banking App (the Group Apps);
- anyone who has registered for Paym (which is a service offered by a number of banks and building societies to allow you to send and receive payments in this way);
- any other person who has not registered to use one of the Group Apps or Paym as long as they have a UK Visa debit card, Visa credit card, or Visa pre-paid card which is eligible to receive third party payments.
6.2.3 To make a payment in this way, you need to give us:
- the mobile phone number of the payee. (This is the information that we use to identify the payee); and
- the amount of the payment in Sterling.
You're responsible for ensuring that these details are correct.
6.2.4 Once you've asked us to make a payment you won't be able to cancel it. If you realise that you've given us an incorrect mobile phone number or payment amount, you must inform us as soon as possible by contacting us on 0345 366 7004 or +44 2381 244182 from outside the UK. Where possible we'll try to stop the payment, but might not be able to do so. We'll not be liable to you if we're unable to stop a payment in these circumstances.
6.2.5 We'll notify you within the App if we're unable to make a payment.
6.2.6 There's a daily limit and an individual transaction limit on payments sent using Pay Your Contacts. Details of these limits can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions section of the App.
6.3 Pay Your Contacts (Registered Payees)
6.3.1 You may ask us to make a payment to someone who is registered to use one of the Group Apps or Paym (a Registered Payee). When you confirm the payee's mobile phone number and the amount of the payment this will be your payment instruction to us and the payment will be processed immediately.
6.3.2 If the payee is registered to use one of the Group Apps as well as Paym, we'll send the payment to one of the accounts linked to their Group App.
6.3.3 If the payee is not registered to use one of the Group Apps but is registered for Paym, we'll send the payment to the account they've registered for Paym.
6.4 Pay Your Contacts (Non-Registered Payees)
6.4.1 You may ask us to make a payment to someone who isn’t registered to use one of the Group Apps or Paym (a Non-Registered Payee) provided they have a UK Visa debit card, Visa credit card, or Visa pre-paid card which is eligible to receive third party payments.
6.4.2 When you instruct us to pay a Non-Registered Payee, we’ll work in partnership with Visa to process your instruction as follows:
- Visa will send a text message to the payee on our behalf informing them that you wish to make a payment to them. For security reasons Visa won’t state the amount of the payment in this text message. It’s your responsibility to provide the payee with this information.
- To collect the payment, the payee must visit the Visa collections website referred to in the text message and provide their card details as well as the amount of the payment. When the payee provides this information they initiate the payment transaction and Visa will process the payment on our behalf.
- The payee will have up to seven days from the day Visa send the text message to collect the payment. After the collection period has expired the payment request will no longer be valid and you’ll have to make a fresh payment request if you still wish to make the payment.
6.4.3 If the payment is collected it’ll be added to the payee's account by the end of the next business day after the payee enters their information on the Visa collections website. (For example, if the payee enters their details on Friday, the money will be added to their account by the end of the day on Monday). If the payment isn’t collected you’ll be sent a text message to let you know, and you’ll have to make a fresh payment request if you still wish to make the payment.
7. We don't currently charge you for Mobile Banking. However, your mobile phone network operator may charge you when using Mobile Banking and these charges may vary if you use your mobile phone to access Mobile Banking when abroad.
8. We won't be liable to refund you for any losses caused by circumstances beyond our control (i.e. the situation was abnormal or unforeseeable), for example, due to extreme weather, terrorist activity or industrial action.
Variation / Termination
9.1 You're free to cancel Mobile Banking at any time. If you'd like to do this, please call us on calling us on 0345 366 7004 or +44 2381 244182 from outside the UK and delete the App from you mobile device(s).
9.2 If you haven't used the App for 6 months your Mobile Banking access will be deactivated automatically and you'll have to re-register in order to use Mobile Banking again.
9.3 We may suspend, withdraw or restrict the use of Mobile Banking or any part of it where:
- we reasonably suspect that your security details haven't been kept secret;
- we reasonably suspect that your security details have been used fraudulently or without your permission;
- as a result of a change in the way you operate your account or in your financial circumstances, we reasonably believe that you may have difficulty in meeting your commitments;
- we believe it's appropriate in order to protect your account(s);
- you've broken any of the Licence Terms set out below.
We'll tell you before taking any of these steps and we'll explain why we've done so, unless we're unable to contact you or there's a legal reason or other circumstance beyond our control that stops us from doing so. If we can't get hold of you beforehand, we'll (where possible) tell you and explain our reasons afterwards.
9.4 If we have a valid reason for doing so, we may change the terms of our agreement with you (which may include introducing charges for Mobile Banking or making changes to those charges) by giving you at least 60 days’ notice before the change takes effect. We’ll assume that you’ve accepted the change unless you uninstall the App or tell us that you’d like to cancel Mobile Banking before the change takes effect.
10.1 Licence to use the App
10.1.1 When you download the App we automatically give you a non-transferable, non-exclusive right to use the App (the Licence) provided that you agree to the following:
- you can only use the App on a registered device belonging to you or under your control. You'll need to register each additional or replacement device separately;
- you can only use the App for Mobile Banking and for no other purpose;
- the right to use the App is given only to you and you must not give any rights of use or any other rights in respect of the App to any other person;
- you must not copy, reproduce, alter, modify or adapt the App or any part of it;
- you must not remove or tamper with any copyright notice attached to or contained within the App and you agree that all ownership of the App remains with us;
- if your right to use Mobile Banking is terminated all rights given to you in respect of the App will end immediately.
10.1.2 The Licence includes the right to use any future updates to the App that we make available to you.
10.1.3 We are solely responsible for the App and its content. If you have any questions, complaints or need support in relation to the App please contact us on 0345 366 7004 or +44 2381 244182 from outside the UK.
10.1.4 If any third party claims that the App infringes their intellectual property rights, we'll be solely responsible for dealing with the claim.
10.2 Duration and Termination of the Licence
We'll assume that you've accepted the terms of the Licence by installing the App on your device and the Licence will continue until you cancel Mobile Banking and/or delete the App or if we end your use of Mobile Banking under Term 9. Upon termination of the Licence for any reason you must uninstall the App and destroy all copies of it.